Elite ice hockey league CIHL is the first full contact league in Hong Kong, covering the Southern China region. Teams represent Hong Kong, Kowloon, Macau and South China. The league is modeled after the popular British Columbia Hockey league (BCHL) in Canada with the following objectives:
- Revive and expand interest in the sport of ice hockey in China.
- Expand on the growing popularity of ice hockey in Hong Kong.
- Provide a world class entertainment product.
- Establish a bonafide Chinese professional league over time.
- Develop Chinese hockey players to achieve competitiveness on a global basis.
- The league consists of 4 teams:
- 15 regular season game schedule (October 8th – March 3rd)
- All games are played at the Mega Ice rink located on the 10th Floor of MegaBox, Kowloon Bay,
Hong Kong. Directions to the rink can be found at: www.megabox.com.hk
- Games are played on Saturday nights:
- 1st games at 8:00 pm
- 2nd game at 9:30 pm
- The minimum age to play in the league is 16
- Game are played with full body contact.
- 3x12 minute stop time periods played 5 on 5+1 goalie.
- 1x3 minute stop time overtime period played 4 on 4+1 goalie.
- 3 player shoot out (same as the NHL).
- 4 man referee system (2 Referees and 2 Linesman)
- Strict rules and suspensions will be enforced for hits from behind and hits that target the player’s head.
- No fighting allowed.
- Rules follow international ice hockey standards with minor changes.
- Tryouts for the 2012-2013 season will be held in September (dates indicated below) for all players that have signed up.
- September 14th, 10:00pm – 11:30pm
- o September 18th, 8:00pm – 11:00pm
- The league draft will be held on September 22nd and are in a similar format to the Hong Kong League.
- Players not selected on draft night will be put into the league player pool (LPP) and eligible to play as spares.
- Each team will consist between 12-14 players +2 goalies.
- Teams will be managed by one general manager (GM)
- Player trades are permitted during the regular season.
- In order to maintain the quality and integrity of the league, players that do not comply with the league rules and standards will be removed from the team.